Monday, May 31, 2010

A few book reviews...

I had a friend recommend and pass along this book. It is historical fiction and follows the story of four sisters living in the Dominican Republic, fighting a difficult era of dictatorship. Three of the sisters end up getting killed in the end (I tell you this because it is mentioned from the beginning of the book...not trying to spoil it), and the story outlines their lives and their road to becoming national heros. I thought it was a pretty good read and recommend it.


We read this book for Book Club this month and I thought it was a fun, quick read. It is about Lara, a girl in her late twenties who's world changes when her great aunt passes away. Not because she knew and loved her aunt (actually the opposite), but because the spirit of her great aunt, Sadie has some unresolved business and relies on Lara, the only one who can see Sadie, to help her. I loved the 1920's aspects and the quirky twists and turns. The author wrote Confessions of a Shopaholic, which was made into a movie. I could see a movie being modeled after Twenties Girl as well!
Warning: the book does include quite a few explitives. Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment