Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Latest Reads...


Hooray! I joined by sister's book club and although I wasn't able to make it to January's meeting, I managed to read 2/3 of the books assigned. Lois Lowry is the author of Number the Stars, which was one of my favorite books growing up. With that in mind, I was pretty excited to see what else she had written.

I really liked The Giver (I think my High School English class was the only one that didn't read it!). It is a light and easy read, yet it really makes you think about life and how fortunate we are to live in our current society, even amid its imperfections. I wasn't as big of a fan of Gathering Blue. The plot was a little slow and I was very disappointed with the ending. So much so that I decided not to read the third book/companion. 

Ethan Frome is a classic and came recommended (first by my father in law, then my husband), so I gave it a shot! I really liked it too. Although it's a bit heart wrenching, the character connection is inevitable (at least it was for me). I found myself torn between Ethan's loyalty and his happiness. I like books that make me think and this was one of them. 

I can't remember how many times I've read it before and how long it's taken me to read it this time. And I can't promise you I've had a great personal study every day, but I can say that The Book of Mormon has been a source of solitude and strength over the past year. I've found that when I read sincerely, my days seem to go much better and I'm able to maintain an eternal perspective on life. I started reading it from the beginning again today...

No comments:

Post a Comment