Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A few book reviews...

Wow, it's amazing how fast time can slip away in the blogging world. I've got a bunch of projects to post, but not enough time to do it post them. So, for now I'll just update you on my latest reads...



This book was so fun! It follows the travel adventures and explorations of Martin and Osa Johnson, who from 1917 to 1937 traveled some of the most indigenous and hardly trekked areas of the world including Borneo, Kenya, The Congo, and small Islands throughout the pacific...and all on a shoe-string budget (the way Brian and I would too). I was simply amazed at how determined [and brave] this couple was and loved reading about their many adventures. 


This was a touching story about Kim, a Chinese girl and her mother who immigrate to Brooklyn to create a better life; however, what they encounter is injustice, poverty and culture shock. Despite their harsh living conditions, meager pay, and horrible working conditions inside a Chinatown clothing factory, Kim is able to excel in school and help turn their life around. I thought the book was compelling, although there were a few aspects of the story I didn't like, overall it was a pretty good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment